canberra rotary peace bell
Designed by Kasparek Architects and constructed by RAM Constructions in 2018. The Rotary Club of Canberra Burley Griffin established the Canberra Rotary Peace Bell here beside Lake Burley Griffin. The Bell was provided by the World Peace Bell Association which is a non-profit and non-sectarian organisation formed in Hiroshima, Japan to promote peace throughout the world. The original World Peace Bell was established in 1954, and wast cast from medals and coins donated by numerous communities around the world. The first World Peace Bell is housed in the forecourt of the United Nations Headquarters in New York rung on World Peace Day.
The founder of the original Peace Bell was Chiyoji Nakagawa (1905 - 1972) and the Canberra Rotary Peace Bell is dedicated in his memory.
The Bell weighs 365kg, is 1060mm high and has a diameter of 600mm. The Canberra Rotary Peace Bell pavilion was designed and managed by Kasparek Architects and built by RAM Constructions. The Pavilion was constructed with financial assistance from numerous Canberra businesses, professional people, school children, the Scouts Association and members of the Canberra community.